St. Catherine Choral Society
The St. Catherine Choral Society is a community masterworks chorus comprising the voices of students, faculty, staff and community adults. Founded in 1993, the choir provides opportunities for:
- St. Kate's students to sing in a mixed voice choir
- Adult singers, as well as the students, to participate in high quality performances of choral masterworks
The St. Catherine Choral Society welcomes all members of the St. Kate's and Twin Cities communities. Performing with professional instrumentalists and soloists, the choir gives two concerts per year, in the fall and the spring.
Rehearsals are held weekly during each academic semester. Choir members come from near and far — as near as Bayard Avenue and as far as Taylor's Falls. Their repertoire has included such works as:
- Premiere of Ashes of Roses, a new Requiem by Jocelyn Hagen
- The Requiems of Brahms and Mozart
- Mendelssohn's Elijah
- Masses by Haydn and Mozart
- Bach Magnificat, Handel Messiah
- Stravinsky’s Symphony of Psalms
- Britten’s Rejoice in the Lamb
- Bernstein’s Chichester Psalms
- Copland’s American Folksongs
- New works by local composer Albert Biales
A choir member may miss no more than two rehearsals in a given semester in order to perform in the concert.
Choral Society members pay a $40 fee each semester.
Dr. Patricia Connors hears auditions for new members in August and January. Please call her to schedule an appointment (651.690.6688).
For the audition, be prepared to sing one song with accompaniment and several vocalizes to explore your range and ability. Please bring the music, if possible.
Rehearsals for the St. Catherine Choral Society are held Thursday evenings from 7-9:15 p.m. at the Music Building Rehearsal Hall on the St. Kate's campus.