Details for Graduates
Congratulations Graduating Student!
You should be quite proud of yourself and your remarkable achievement! You will find everything you need right here to prepare for your upcoming Commencement exercise; please read the information here thoroughly.
- Rehearsal Information
- Ticket Information
- Academic Garb (Cap, Gown, and Hood)
- Latin Honors
- Commencement Mass and Hooding Ceremony
- Invitations and Announcements
- Student Account Status
It is very important for you to attend your Commencement Rehearsal on Tuesday, December 8 at 5:00 p.m. in The O'Shaughnessy Auditorium. You get:
- Final Commencement instructions and information
- Guest tickets
- The St. Paul Bookstore will be open until rehearsal begins at 5:00 p.m.
- And a celebration!
If you are unable to attend Rehearsal, please contact the Student Center and Activities Office, Coeur de Catherine 270, 651.690.6211, after Tuesday, December 8 to have your questions regarding Rehearsal and Commencement answered.
The Ticket Request Form is your RSVP for Commencement for you and your guests.
The Ticket Request Form:
- Reserves your spot for graduation (or tells us you're not coming).
- Reserves seats for your guests. Although seating is limited in The O’Shaughnessy Auditorium, each graduate is guaranteed three (3) guest tickets (including children).
- Gives you the opportunity to let us know of any special seating needs your guests may have.
Deadline – Ticket Request Form: 4:30 p.m., Friday, November 20
- Please complete the Ticket Request Form even if you do not plan to attend the Commencement Ceremony.
- Graduates submitting a Ticket Request Form after the deadline cannot be guaranteed tickets inside The O'Shaughnessy Auditorium for their guests.
- The guest tickets for the Commencement Ceremony in The O’Shaughnessy Auditorium are the only tickets that are required for the day. Tickets are not required for the Commencement Mass or the Reception.
- Graduates do not need a ticket for themselves for any of the Commencement activities.
- Seating assignments for guests are determined by a lottery and are reserved seats. To participate in the lottery, you must complete the Ticket Request Form by 4:30 p.m., Friday, November 20.
- If tickets for The O’Shaughnessy Auditorium remain after each student receives their original guaranteed three tickets, those tickets will be distributed one ticket at a time through a lottery conducted by the Student Center and Activities Office.
- The University provides overflow seating in The Pulse (first floor of Coeur de Catherine) where the ceremony will be telecast live. This location is appreciated by older and younger guests who are not able to sit for long periods of time and prefer to move around during the ceremony. No tickets are required for the overflow seating in The Pulse.
- Due to the length and nature of the Commencement Ceremony, guests are discouraged from bringing young children into The O'Shaughnessy Auditorium. Tickets are required for all children present. It is estimated that the Commencement Ceremony will last approximately two hours.
- A sign language interpreter will be provided at the Commencement Mass and the Commencement Ceremony.
- At The O’Shaughnessy Auditorium after attending your Commencement Rehearsal on Tuesday, December 8. Additional times are listed below.
- St. Paul students can pick up tickets from the Student Center and Activities Office in Coeur de Catherine 270, beginning Wednesday, December 9, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. When the office is closed, tickets will be available at the Coeur de Catherine Information Center (7 a.m. - 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. - midnight).
- Minneapolis students can pick up tickets from Mary Kleinberg's office (Old Main, 359) beginning Wednesday, December 8, Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Students that are unable to pick them up during this time should contact Mary Kleinberg (email@example.com) to arrange pick up.
- On the day of Commencement, tickets will be available at The O’Shaughnessy Auditorium ticket window beginning at 6:00 p.m. Tickets that are not claimed by 7:15 p.m. will be released to the general public. Please ensure that you or your guests pick up their tickets before this time.
Note: In the interest of time and tracking, tickets cannot be distributed through campus or U.S. Mail.
Space is provided on the Ticket Request Form to indicate seating needs for persons with disabilities, especially those using wheelchairs, walkers, or who are unable to climb stairs. Wheelchair seating in The O’Shaughnessy Auditorium is limited. Be sure to submit your Ticket Request Form by 4:30 p.m., Friday, November 20 to ensure that these seating needs can be met.
Note: There is no elevator in The O’Shaughnessy Auditorium.
After you have received your tickets, you can call The O’Shaughnessy Auditorium (651.690.6701) if you have specific questions regarding handicap access into the building.
If you have invited guests who should not all be seated together, please indicate this on your Ticket Request Form.
- Baccalaureate degree students will receive their gown, hood, and tassel from the Bookstore and will receive their cap at lineup on the day of Commencement.
- Graduate students will receive their gown from the Bookstore and will receive their hood, tassel, and cap at lineup on the day of Commencement.
- Associate students will receive their gown and hood from the Bookstore and will receive their cap at lineup on the day of Commencement.
The cost of garb is covered in your Commencement fee. You may keep your academic garb as a souvenir of the Commencement Ceremony.
For details about store hours, please visit the Bookstore website.
For questions about academic garb, please e-mail Katy Dillard (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Latin Honors are awarded to eligible students earning their first baccalaureate degree. To be considered for Latin Honors students must complete a minimum of 64 credits in residence at St. Catherine University. Latin Honors are awarded upon completion of all graduation requirements with the following institutional grade point average:
- For graduation cum laude, a GPA of 3.667
- For graduation magna cum laude, a GPA of 3.8
- For graduation summa cum laude, a GPA of 3.9
The Latin Honor awarded is noted on your transcript, diploma, and in the program at Commencement. Predicted eligibility for Latin Honors is determined approximately six weeks prior to commencement; actual eligibility is based on your final St. Catherine University GPA.
Latin Honor cords will be included with your gown from the Bookstore. Cords for departmental honor societies are provided by the individual departments. Graduating students are encouraged to wear any/all of their honor society cords to Commencement.
Contact email@example.com with questions about Latin Honors.
If you or your guests plan to attend, please complete the "Commencement Mass and Hooding Ceremony" section of the Ticket Request Form so that we may plan accordingly. Tickets are not required but as seating is limited we request that each graduate limit their invitations to the Commencement Mass and Hooding Ceremony to four (4) guests.
Students of all faiths and their families are welcome and encouraged to attend!
Incorporated into the Commencement Mass is a tradition known as the Hooding Ceremony.
All graduating students are welcome to participate in the procession into the Our Lady of Victory Chapel. All students will be dressed in their academic gowns for the procession.
During the Hooding Ceremony, Baccalaureate and Associate students will stand together, receive a special blessing, and place their graduation hoods upon each other.
While Graduate students are encouraged to participate in the procession and blessing portion of this activity, they will be hooded on stage in The O'Shaughnessy during the Commencement Ceremony.
All graduating students will be individually recognized as they process out of the Chapel. Students consistently describe this tradition as one of the highlights of the Commencement events.
Students are invited to serve as readers and eucharistic ministers during the Commencement Mass. Those interested should contact the Campus Ministry office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 651.690.6724.
Graduates and guests are invited to a free, informal reception. The reception will be held in the Coeur de Catherine, 3rd Floor, Rauenhorst Ballroom immediately following the Commencement Ceremony. Tickets are not required. However, on your Ticket Request Form, please indicate the number of persons in your party (including yourself) that will be attending for catering estimations.
Jostens offers a full line of customized products for graduation.
- Special order custom, high-quality, embossed invitations and announcements through the Jostens website.
- The official St. Catherine University ring can also be purchased through Jostens.
Note: Some people do not know that announcements are not invitations. Omitting the place and time of the ceremony from your announcements should help alleviate this confusion.
Jolesch Photography will be taking photos of each graduate at Commencement and will contact graduates directly with proofs and purchase information approximately six weeks after graduation. This will be mailed to your most recent address on record at the Registrar’s Office. Proofs may be viewed on their website.
The Office of Marketing and Communications contracts with Rebecca Zenefski, '10, By Rebecca Studios LLC, to take photographs of Commencement events. These photos will be used for public relations purposes and are available for download by graduates and family members following graduation from the University's Flickr site.
Family members and friends in the auditorium may take photographs or videotape from their seats. Out of courtesy to graduates and other audience members, approaching the altar or stage for photographs or videotaping during the Commencement Mass or the Commencement Ceremony is not allowed.
The Commencement Ceremony in The O’Shaughnessy Auditorium will be recorded using a professional camcorder. The DVD will show each graduate as she/he walks across the stage, and all Commencement speeches and special honors will be recorded. The DVD will be recorded and available only in USA standard (Region #1) format. The cost of this unedited DVD is $15.00, check or cash (includes S & H). To purchase one or more copies, please fill out the Commencement DVD Order Form. Questions can be directed to Breanna Berg (email@example.com or 651.690.6211).
Students with balances remaining on their accounts should contact Jordana Lewis (firstname.lastname@example.org or 651.690.6567) in the Student Accounts Office to make arrangements for payment to the University.
Students with balances on their account after Commencement will have their diplomas and transcripts held until full payment is made.
If you are a Perkins or Nursing Loan borrower, you need to complete the online loan exit questionnaire prior to graduation. Questions about the questionnaire can be directed to Sharon Fetting in the Student Accounts Office (email@example.com or 651.690.6858). Technical questions or problems can be directed to University Accounting Service (UAS) at 1.800.999.6227.
If you borrowed other types of student loans you need to complete an exit counseling session. Expect notification of times from the Financial Aid office.
If your student account is in good standing, your diploma and final transcripts will be mailed to your permanent address approximately six (6) weeks after Commencement. Please go online to ensure that the Registrar’s Office has your correct address on file.
Diploma frames are also available for purchase through both Bookstores. Please visit the Bookstore website or stop in the St. Paul Bookstore to see examples of styles available.