Evening|Weekend|Online B.A. or B.S. in Communication Studies
- For busy women who want to improve their writing, speaking, critical thinking skills and effectiveness with digital communications including social media, video and radio.
- Dynamic career options: human resources, public relations, advertising, sales and media production — and more.
- Flexible course scheduling blends evening/weekend meetings with online learning.
- Transfer in your previous college credits — graduate sooner.
- Affordable tuition rates.
- Get a head start on your master's. Take up to two graduate business (MBA), leadership (MAOL) or library and information science (MLIS) courses while earning your B.A. or B.S.
- Request more information »
- Contact your admission counselor »
- Get a free transfer evaluation — find out how close you are to your bachelor's »
- Apply now to start in September »
Questions? We can help! Call 651.690.6542 or e-mail email@example.com
Majoring in Communication Studies
Strong communication skills never go out of style. In fact, the ability to think critically, write succinctly and speak effectively are even more important at a time when people are bombarded with information.
St. Kate's communication studies major supports women in becoming leaders who are strategic thinkers, compelling writers and respectful listeners – as well as confident users of up-to-the-minute media to convey their messages. You'll learn to use technology including video, radio and digital communications that will help you reach the broadest possible audience.
Advance Your Career and Your Life
In the interactive major, you have opportunities to practice leadership through role playing, writing, engaging in community outreach and learning to use top-of-the-line audio software and video editing equipment. Those are skills the job market values. Communications careers include human resources, human relations, public relations, corporate communication, advertising, sales, media production and, indeed, any field that relies on the ability to communicate, connect and think critically. Click the Using your Degree tab for more information.
The Communication Studies department welcomes you whether you are on a career path or unsure where your future will lead. The coursework is foundational as well as empowering. The high level of interaction within small, discussion-based classes creates a close-knit community among students and faculty. You are fully supported in finding your voice.
Program of Study
The program adapts to your interests. Within required coursework you complete projects in a medium of your choosing – from writing to broadcast or digital media. You also have opportunities to conduct faculty-supervised research, design an independent study and get hands-on experience through internships.
All Communication Studies majors take the course “Speaking to Lead and Influence,” to gain confidence speaking in front of groups. Another seminal course, “Leadership and the Art of Persuasion,” develops your ability to think on your feet in stressful leadership situations.
Uniquely St. Kate’s
Issues of social justice are woven throughout the coursework, in keeping with the St. Kate’s mission to make a difference in the world. You examine historic social justice movements, including women's suffrage, from a communication-based perspective, and you delve into contemporary inequities of gender, race, sexuality and class.
Strong, clear communication is key to leading and influencing within your profession, community and family – and on behalf of social change.