DNP degree plan
The St. Catherine University DNP is a rigorous, relevant and challenging 30-credit graduate program. The program includes coursework in ethical leadership, interprofessional collaboration to improve population health, knowledge of the discipline of nursing, informatics, evidence-based practice, organizational systems, healthcare economics and health policy.
The program culminates in a systems change project, part of a final portfolio demonstrating your cumulative learning and the applications of evidence-based practice.
Learning the St. Kate's DNP is a community experience, with the shared learning, collaborative spirit and personal support of the cohort learning model — you'll enter and proceed through the program with the same group of fellow nurses. Throughout, you and other members of your cohort will be mentored and coached by experiences nursing faculty mentors.
You'll also complete a total of 1000 hours of practica, some of which may be accounted for from your nursing master's, as recommended by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. The St. Catherine University DNP course of study has been carefully designed to meet the AACN's Essentials of Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice.
Start the St. Kate's DNP in September, and complete the St. Kate's DNP in 24-27 months. For details on the online/face-to-face learning format and course and practica scheduling, see our "blended" learning format page.
The DNP program of study
Courses for the Doctor of Nursing Practice are listed below. For full descriptions of these courses, see our online graduate catalog — click on the "DNP" section on this page.
- NURS 8500: Underpinnings of the Discipline of Nursing (4 credits)
- NURS 8515: Outcome Evaluation (1 credit)
- NURS 8501: Practicum (1 credit)*
- NURS 7991: Topics: Introduction to Epidemiology (1 credit)**
- NURS 7992: Topics: Basic Graduate Nursing Informatics (2 credits)**
- NURS 8520: Advanced Evidence-Based Practice (4 credits)
- NURS 8525: Advanced Informatics (2 credits)
- NURS 8502: Practicum (1 credit) *
- NURS 8535: Leadership in Organizations and Systems: Implications for Practice (3 credits)
- NURS 8536: Health Care Economics and Finance (3 credits)
- NURS 8503: Practicum (1 credit)*
- NURS 8504: Practicum (1 credit)
- NURS 8540: Health Care: Power and Politics (4 credits)
- NURS 8505: Practicum (1 credit)
*NURS 8501-8503 Practicum courses must be completed before enrollment in the Systems Change Project (SCP) credits.
**NURS 7991: Introduction to Epidemiology and NURS 7992: Basic Graduate Nursing Informatics are master’s level courses and taken only if not completed at the graduate level prior to beginning DNP coursework.
System Change Project Credit
- NURS 8600: Systems Change Project (4 credits) ***
- NURS 8610:Systems Change Project: Part One (2 credits)
- NURS 8620: Systems Change Project: Part Two (2 credits)
- NURS 8601: Systems Change Project: Part One (1 credit)
- NURS 8602: Systems Change Project: Part Two (1 credit)
- NURS 8603: Systems Change Project: Part Three (1 credit)
- NURS 8604: Systems Change Project: Part Four (1 credit)
Systems Change Project Credits may be taken in the second year; however, last SCP credit cannot be taken before Year 2-Spring semester.