The STEM certificate (three courses) is required for Elementary Education majors, but you may also complete a STEM minor.
St. Kate’s has the nation’s first STEM minor with courses in environmental biology, chemistry, engineering and robotics. Our University is also the first — and, so far, the only — institution in Minnesota with an engineering course for elementary education majors. The STEM minor is available for students enrolled in the undergraduate day program only.
The STEM minor is composed of five courses — with the fifth being a capstone course to all the courses together. Each course includes hands-on activities during lectures, discussions, seminars and labs. Technology is also integrated into the courses.
- BIO 1110: Environmental Biology
- CHEM 1000: Chemistry of Life
- INDI 1110: Makin' and Breakin' - Engineering in Your World
Advanced Courses *
- CHEM 2150: Environmental Science: A Path to Sustainability AND
- PHYS 2990: Robots and The Earth: A Scientific Journey Through Time
* Prerequisites: Two STEM introduction courses OR one year of biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics or computer science.