MAOL International Opportunities: Leaders Without Borders
Effective and ethical leadership today involves understanding and acting with the acknowledgment that we are global citizens in an increasingly diverse world. Businesses, nonprofit organizations and governments no longer operate inside distinct borders. As a leader, you must cultivate the ability to communicate across cultures both in the United States and internationally.
The MAOL curriculum integrates multicultural and global perspectives in every course. You will increase your intercultural competence and learn to influence an organization to make ethical decisions that affect people of differing classes, genders, ages, races, religions, ethnicities and geographies.
For MAOL students seeking to take their global leadership skills even further, St. Catherine also offers multiple study-abroad options.
WENDY WIEGMANN '03
Director of Programs | Simpson Housing Services | Minneapolis
"As a leader, it really helps me to be aware of multiple perspectives, histories and cultures because I work with diverse colleagues and clients," says Wiegmann. A course on "Mediation in Emerging Democracies" took her to Budapest. "I met people from all over the world and heard about their struggles to create a conflict-free world."
MAOL Global Education Opportunities
Many MAOL take part in study-abroad options, offering opportunities to:
- Earn elective credits for your degree.
- Fit study abroad experiences into your busy life, through month-long January term or summer session options.
- Study the cultural contexts of leadership.
Bi-annually, the MAOL program sponsors a study-abroad course — designed specifically for MAOL students and alumnae/i and led by MAOL faculty — to developed countries such as Japan or developing countries such as South Africa.
Some recent MAOL study abroad course offerings:
- Jerusalem: Conflict Resolution from Religious Traditions
- Development and Community in Bangladesh
- Social and Political Transformation in Ecuador
- Leadership and Social Change in Ireland
- Global Health in Kenya: Charity, Development & Social Justice
- Intercultural Communication in Japan
- Leadership in International Contexts: Tanzania
- Switzerland: International Studies and Multilateral Diplomacy
See a sampling of recent MAOL study abroad courses: 2013-2014 Global Study Options»
Get specific details and this year's offerings on the Global Studies website »