School Library Media Specialist
School library media specialists manage and deliver the school library media program, in addition to managing the school library media center. They work directly with children and young adults to teach them the skills necessary to become effective users of ideas and information. They also collaborate with classroom teachers to teach and integrate literature and information skills into the curriculum.
Through coursework and fieldwork experience, St. Catherine's SLMS program prepares students to meet the Library Media Specialist Standards of the Minnesota Board of Teaching and to become educational leaders in their schools, districts and library systems.
Students enrolled in the SLMS certification program at St. Catherine complete the following courses to meet Minnesota requirements:
• LIS 7010: Introduction to Library and Information Science
• LIS 7030: Organization of Knowledge
• LIS 7040: Information Access Services
• LIS 7050: Research Methods for Library and Information Science
• LIS 7160: Leadership in Theory and Practice
• LIS 7210: Library Materials for Children
• LIS 7220: Library Materials for Young Adults
• LIS 7240: Technology for Teaching and Learning
• LIS 7250: Curriculum and School Libraries
• LIS 7283 or 7286: Clinical Experience/Student Teaching
o 3 credits (200 hours) for those with a MN teaching license
o 6 credits (400 hours) for those without a MN teaching license
• LIS 7730: School Libraries
An electronic portfolio and state-required tests (MTLE) are also completed as part of the SLMS program.
Students who wish to pursue the full MLIS degree with the SLMS focus will complete one LIS course (three credits) in addition to the above coursework.
Additional credit requirements
Students who do not have a current Minnesota teaching license also must complete the following courses:
- PSYC 1001: General Psychology
- PSYC 2025: Lifespan Developmental Psychology
- EDUC 5070: Teachers as Leaders for a Changing Society
- EDUC 5090: General Methods: K-12, Secondary
- EDUC 5490: School Health and Chemical Health
- EDUC 7551: Literacy in the Content Areas