How to Apply
Apply between Jan. 1, 2016 - June 15, 2016 to start in Spring 2017.
St. Catherine University seeks to admit into the MSN: Entry-Level option a highly motivated group of students who are committed to making a positive contribution to the nursing profession, demonstrate an understanding of the University's mission, and are prepared for rigorous graduate study.
To be considered for admission, applicants should demonstrate:
- A completed baccalaureate degree (B.A. or B.S.) from an institution that is accredited by one of the regional accrediting associations (e.g. Higher Learning Commission). Your degree may be "in progress" at the time of application, but must be completed prior to enrollment in the graduate program.
- A cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0 or above in all post-secondary coursework.
- Completion of a minimum of three prerequisite courses at the time of application. A total of six prerequisite courses must be completed before enrolling in the MSN: Entry Level option. Applicants should have received a "C" or better in each prerequisite course, and maintained a cumulative prerequisite G.P.A. of 3.0 or above (note: one prerequisite course may be repeated one time, including withdrawals). For more details, see our prerequisite courses page.
Admission for this program is competitive. Meeting the minimum criteria listed above does not ensure admission. Each application is reviewed on a holistic basis with broad attention paid to each applicant's goals and experiences. The selection process also takes into consideration the composition of each student cohort; the University seeks to enroll a group of students from a variety of backgrounds, with diverse academic and professional interests and life experiences.
Applications will be accepted January 1 - June 15, 2016 to enter the MSN: Entry-Level option in the Spring 2017 term. All items listed below must be received no later than June 15, 2016.
Admission Facts for Spring 2015
- Number of applicants: 178
- Class size: 48
- Acceptance rate: 27%
- Overall undergraduate GPA: 3.40
- Undergraduate prerequisite course GPA: 3.69
Applications for the MSN: Entry-Level option are submitted through the Nursing Centralized Application Service (NursingCAS). The application cycle is closed for the program starting in Spring 2016. The application cycle for Spring 2017 enrollment will open in January 2016.
The following materials must be submitted directly to NursingCAS:
- Official transcripts from every post-secondary institution attended (including PSEO course work)*
- Three recommendations. One recommendation should be from a current supervisor; the others may be from a professor or other employer. Please review instructions in NursingCAS regarding recommendation submissions.
*Transcripts submitted to St. Catherine University as part of a previous application cannot be used to complete the NursingCAS process. All official transcripts must be submitted directly to NursingCAS, including an official transcript from St. Catherine for applicants who were previously enrolled here.
A personal statement is required as part of the application process. Specific questions to be addressed are located in the Program Materials section of the NursingCAS application (under the “Questions” tab).
Applicants who do not meet one or more of the following MSN: Entry-Level admission requirements must complete the final section under the “Questions” tab to have their application considered:
- Cumulative GPA
- Prerequisite GPA
- Prerequisite courses
Applicants should include an explanation of factors that affected previous academic performance, as well as the applicant's plan to ensure academic success in a graduate program.
We strongly encourage candidates to complete the application process at least one month prior to the deadline to ensure that all materials are received. Only applications completed by the deadline will be reviewed for admission.
Test scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) are not required.
Applicants with a college or university degree completed outside of the United States must submit a credential evaluation from World Education Services (WES). Unofficial evaluation results must be reported in NursingCAS. If admitted into the MSN program, the official evaluation must be submitted to St. Catherine University directly from WES.
Applicants whose native language is not English are required to complete the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or 80 on the iBT. This requirement is waived for students who have completed a baccalaureate or graduate degree in the United States. Candidates must report unofficial TOEFL scores in NursingCAS. If admitted into the MSN program, official test scores must be submitted to St. Catherine University directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS).
Applicants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents must submit an International Student Application, in addition to the MSN program application. There is no additional application fee.