How to Apply
Apply before June 1, 2014 to start in Spring 2015.
St. Catherine University seeks to admit into the MSN: Entry-Level option a highly motivated group of students who are committed to making a positive contribution to the nursing profession, demonstrate an understanding of the University's mission, and are prepared for rigorous graduate study.
To be considered for admission, applicants should demonstrate:
- Completion of a bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a regionally accredited college or university. Your degree may be "in progress" at the time of application, but must be completed prior to enrollment in the graduate program.
- A cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0 or above in all post-secondary coursework.
- Completion of a minimum of three prerequisite courses at the time of application. A total of six prerequisite courses must be completed before enrolling in the MSN: Entry Level option. Applicants should have received a "C" or better in each prerequisite course, and maintained a cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0 or above in all prerequisite courses (note: one prerequisite course may be repeated one time, including withdrawals). For more details, see our prerequisite courses page »
Admission for this program is competitive. Meeting the minimum criteria listed above does not assure admission. Each application is reviewed on a holistic basis with broad attention paid to each applicant's goals and experiences. The selection process also takes into consideration the composition of each student cohort; the University seeks to enroll a group of students from a variety of backgrounds, with diverse academic and professional interests and life experiences.
Applications will be accepted January 1 - June 1, 2014 to enter the MSN: Entry-Level option in the Spring 2015 term. All items listed below must be received no later than June 1, 2014.
Applications for the MSN: Entry-Level option are submitted through the Nursing Centralized Application Service (NursingCAS). The application cycle is now open for the program starting in Spring 2015.
The following materials must be submitted directly to NursingCAS:
- Official transcripts from every post-secondary institution attended
- Three recommendations. One recommendation should be from a current supervisor; the others may be from a professor or other employer.
We encourage candidates to begin the application process well in advance of the deadline to ensure that all materials are received. Only applications considered "complete" (by NursingCAS standards) by the application deadline will be reviewed for admission.
Prepare a personal essay that demonstrates professionally written communication skills and clarifies your purpose in pursuing a graduate degree in nursing. Do not exceed four typed, double-spaced pages. Handwritten essays will not be accepted.
St. Catherine University seeks to admit students who can meet the challenges and rigor of the MSN: Entry-Level option, who are committed to success in the nursing profession, and who recognize the relevance of the Nursing Department's mission statement:
The Department of Nursing at St. Catherine University educates students to be leaders in nursing. Our commitment to excellence and ethical leadership in nursing is based upon the principles of Catholic social teaching, contemporary nursing knowledge, and professional and academic standards. The Department of Nursing fosters learning through caring relationships and interdisciplinary collaboration, is committed to the centrality of the liberal arts, and celebrates and reflects the diversity of our society.
- After reflecting on the above, describe how your life experiences (e.g. personal, family, education, and work-related experiences) have prepared you for excellence in nursing. Provide specific information and examples.
- In your opinion, what are the most pressing health care concerns today and what qualities would you bring to your future nursing practice to address these concerns?
- What would you like to be doing in five years?
Personal statements may be uploaded directly into NursingCAS or may be submitted via email as an attached document to the Office of Graduate Admission at email@example.com. Please type your full name at the top of your statement and include "MSN: E-L Personal Statement" in the email's Subject line.
Submit a current resume including professional and volunteer experiences. Resumes may be uploaded directly into NursingCAS or may be submitted via email as an attached document to the Office of Graduate Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject line should read "MSN: E-L Resume"). Handwritten resumes will not be accepted.
Standardized test scores (e.g, Graduate Record Examination scores) are not required.
Applicants whose native language is not English are required to pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of 600 or better on the paper and pencil test, 100 on the iBT or 250 on the computerized test or the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) with a score of 90 or better. This requirement is waived for students who have completed a baccalaureate or graduate degree in the United States.
Please read instructions from the Graduate College for international applicants.