As part of its outreach to all students at St. Catherine University, the O'Neill Center for Academic Development offers assistance to help you become more efficient in developing and using your study skills, managing test anxiety, and reading comprehension.
Handouts and links to materials on specific skills are available in each of the following study skill areas:
- Hints on Planning a Better Time Schedule
- Study Distraction Analysis
- Where does all the time go?
- Notetaking Tips
- Cornell Notetaking Method
- 5 R's of Notetaking
- Methods of Abbreviation
- Reminders in Notetaking
- Using Abbreviations and Symbols in Notetaking
- Reading Complex Material
- SQ3R or PQRST
- Organizational Patterns of Paragraphs
- Maximizing Comprehension by Marking your Texts
- Six Kinds of Context Clues
- Understanding Complex Material
- Chart of 4 Different Reading Speeds
Test Taking Tips
- Test Anxiety
- Types of Reading and Reasoning Questions
- Success with Multiple Choice Questions
- Success with Sentence Completion Questions
- Tips on Taking Essay Exams
- Test Taking Tips
- Making Use of Returned Exam
- 7 Hints for taking Math and Science Exams
Study Skills Appointments
The O'Neill Center staff is available to answer questions and give directions in strengthening important college study skills. Contact the O'Neill Center to learn more.
Please check back often as we add more items and information!