St. Catherine University would like to inform the campus community...
Full incident alert available here. The St. Catherine University...
Full incident bulletin available here. The Department of...
Crime Advisory April 10th 2014
A variety of personal property thefts and "apple-picking" crimes have been reported to Public Safety this week. Most are occurring at or near the light rail station or a few blocks off campus during the late afternoon and evening hours.
"Apple- Picking" is criminal activity that focuses on easy grab items such as Apple Iphones and similar products. The college campus is an easy target as criminals know that most students are carrying one of these devices and frequently have it out in their hand as they travel. A criminal can easily approach and distract the victim by asking a simple question (what time is it?) and then quickly grab the phone from their hand and run off. As the weather warms this type of crime tends to increase. Please remember to be aware of your surroundings and keep your belongings out of sight, including small electronics such as smartphones/Ipods/Ipads.
Keep the following tips in mind to help prevent crime on campus and keep your belongings safe!
YOU CAN HELP PREVENT CRIME AT AUGSBURG!
- Be aware of your surroundings and who might be watching you/ your valuables.
- Don't leave your valuables unattended and unsecured in public places.
- Keep valuables out of view. If possible, secure them in drawer or cabinet, or deep in a pocket/backpack.
- Always lock your office even if you will only be gone for a minute or two.
- Always lock your residence room, even when you are present!
- If possible, lock bicycles with a U lock around the frame and any "quick release" tires.
Be aware of your surroundings and immediately report any suspicious activity or persons to Public Safety Dispatch (612-330-1717 or x1717 from a campus phone) or the Minneapolis Police.