Create a New Group
Think of a Group as a site. So, if a department or office has a specific service they want to offer that doesn't quite fit into their main site, it may be best to create a separate site for them. To do this, you would create a second Group.
- Go to www2.stkate.edu and log in.
- In the Navigation menu at the bottom of the page, click Add content.
On the Add Content page, click Group.
Enter Title for Group/Site. This title will actually be the desired URL for the site (i.e. Abigail Quigley McCarthy Center for Women = center-for-women).
- Note that the group Title CANNOT include the word faculty or staff. If a site will have either in the name, use a shortened version, such as "fac" or similar. Whenever the system sees either "faculty" or "staff" in the URL, it will display the page as a list of faculty/staff for a group, which can break the site.
Check "Enable menu for this group."
Ensure Group Visibility is set to public.
Under Groups audience, select the group that this new site should be a member of (university-level, undergrad, grad, associate, EWO). The site will be themed based on whether it is a university-level site or a member of a college-level site.
Ensure Group Content Visibility is set to "Public - accessible to all site users."
Ensure Groups theme is set to appropriate theme. For university-level sites, select "St. Kate's Base Theme." For associate, EWO, and grad sites, please select the corresponding theme: "associate," "EWO," or "grad."
- At the bottom of the page, there will be a set of tabs/settings. Click on URL path settings.
Ensure "Generate automatic URL alias" is checked.
- All other settings in that bottom section can be left alone for Group creation.
- You will be taken to your new Group’s/Site dashboard. (Your new group/site will also appear on your “User Dashboard” under “Recent Content “and under “All Sites.”)
Important step: Click back in to edit the group and recheck "generate automatic URL alias"--for some reason, doesn't seem to be carrying through. To do this: On your new group/site’s dashboard click to the “edit” tab at the top, then scroll to the bottom and doublecheck "generate automatic URL alias." Then click Save.
Note: If you ever need to delete a group, the following steps must be done by a full admin (Steph or Derik). It seemed too dangerous to leave a button that could delete a whole site on the group page
- In admin menu, click Content
- In the filter, select "Group" in the dropdown menu
- Put a check mark in the box next to the appropriate group
- Under Update Options, select "Delete selected content" in the dropdown and click Update