Pastoral Ministry Certificate
“Accompany people in learning to discern the sacred in their daily lives.”
— Deborah Organ, program coordinator
Snapshot: Pastoral Ministry Certificate
- Prepare for -- or refresh -- a career as a pastoral minister or chaplain.
- Courses are conveniently offered evenings throughout the year so they fit into your busy life.
- Complete the certificate in two to three years.
- Take the stand-alone certificate program or apply credits to a bachelor’s degree in theology.
- Lay the foundation for earning a master’s degree in theology at St. Kate’s.
Earning the Pastoral Ministry Certificate
The Certificate in Pastoral Ministry is an ecumenical program that provides you with important tools for working as a lay professional in the Church. Whether you have been in ministry for years, or are preparing to begin a career in ministry, you will find St. Kate’s program engaging and challenging. You gain both theological education and practical guidance for the exercise of ministry in a variety of contexts including parishes, hospitals and educational institutions.
Advance Your Career and Your Life
Develop your ability to inspire healing and hope. As a pastoral minister, you will be privileged to accompany individuals and groups at important times in their lives, and you will be a resource in the work for justice so central to people of faith.
The practicum is an important dimension of the Pastoral Ministry certificate program. Many students choose to complete a unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) in a healthcare setting, and others do their practicums in parishes, prisons and other settings.
Faculty are well connected within the Twin Cities religious community, so they can match your interests with hands-on experiences that prepare you for the ministry you plan to practice. If you are already working in a pastoral setting, St. Kate’s will help you extend your service into new areas. In keeping with St. Kate’s strong social justice mission, you also gain confidence working with economically and racially diverse populations.
Program of Study
The Pastoral Ministry Certificate is available at the undergraduate or graduate level, and integrates these important elements:
- A solid Christian theological foundation provided by top-notch faculty.
- Opportunities to integrate your life experience with the study of theology.
- Supervised practicum that allows you to practice pastoral skills and develop habits of self-evaluation and reflection.
Uniquely St. Kate’s
St. Kate’s has been committed to women’s education for more than a century and our theology program is core to our liberal arts focus. As a woman returning to college, your life experience enhances small, discussion-based classes.
You are guided by scholars who demonstrate servant leadership. Program Coordinator Deborah Organ, for example, holds a Doctor of Ministry degree from Aquinas Institute of Theology and a Master’s in Divinity from Harvard Divinity School, and she is Pastoral Associate for Family Communication and licensed independent clinical social worker at Holy Rosary Parish, Minneapolis.
Many students enjoy the depth of meaning found through the program and want more. You can easily and conveniently step into our bachelor’s or master’s degree program in theology.