Sponsorship and Governance +
Our Founders' Legacy
St. Catherine University (formerly the College of St. Catherine) was founded in St. Paul in 1905 by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, under the leadership of Mother Seraphine Ireland. The University is named for St. Catherine of Alexandria, the fourth-century Egyptian lay philosopher who suffered martyrdom for her faith.
On June 1, 2009, the College of St. Catherine became St. Catherine University. Although the name has changed, the fundamental platform on which St. Kate's was built "our mission, our heritage and our reputation for excellence" remains.